Please enter you name and company. Tag yourself using LF ID User Name. Don't have an LF ID yet? Go here: https://myprofile.lfx.linuxfoundation.org/.
|Phillip Ritter||Magma Core Foundation|
|Luis Felipe Ariza Vesga||ID:TOLU|
|Daniel Nilsson||TietoEVRY and ODIM TSC|
|Arpit Joshipura||LFN, LFEdge|
- Start Recorder- helps facilitate minutes and Action Items
- Welcome 1st Time Attendees
Community Vision (Arpit)
Magma Road Map (Phil)
ODIM Proposal (Daniel)
- Rules of the Road (Louis)
- Next Steps (AOB)
- We will start by mentioning the project's Antitrust Policy, which you can find linked from the LF and project websites. The policy is important where multiple companies, including potential industry competitors, are participating in meetings. Please review and if you have any questions, please contact your company legal counsel. Members of the LF may contact Andrew Updegrove at the firm Gesmer Updegrove LLP, which provides legal counsel to the LF.
Welcome 1st Time Attendees
Welcome all. new attendees. If you have any questions about participating in this effort, please send to Brandon Wick (email@example.com) and Louis Illuzzi (firstname.lastname@example.org).
LFN Developer & Testing Forum, June 7-10. Quarterly LFN Technical Event. Free to attend but registration required. Event Wiki page: 2021 LFN Developer & Testing Forum June.
Community Vision (Arpit)
Arpit collecting feedback from industry around the 5G Super Blueprint. Shared a presentation with a summary (enterprise, service providers, end users/governments). This is happening at a global level, multiple segments. Reviewed integration plan, definition and use cases (true end user services). The 5G SBP work will roll out in 3 phases. Next Steps: Continue, inter-project tech deep dive. Provide increased PM support (ONES Summit, Oct), Community Lifecycle management for Blueprints. Super Blueprint not a distro.
Magma Road Map (Phil) TBD
Phil provided a high level Magma overview. Magma Roadmap Principles: 1. Build what's needed 2. Rapid Iteration 3. Software delivery. Quarterly release cadence to start → monthly →agile.
Magma Use Cases: Edge & Lightweight. Current: (Fixed Wireless, Carrier Wi-Fi, Private LTE). 2021 Roadmap: Mobile Broadband, 5G. 1.6 Release will be end of June.
5G Stand alone delivery coming in June (after 1.6). Non-Stand Alone (4G Radios on 5G Core). Option 3x. Feel free to join the Magma Slack Channel: magmacore.slack.com.
ODIM Proposal (Daniel)
Daniel Nilsson provided an update on ODIM with ideas for how they can integrate in the 5G SBP initiative. ODIM helps with 5G infrastructure challenges. Q: What has been ODIM update from OEMs in the market? It's starting, still new, needs more support. Meeting on the topic next week at tech event.
Rules of the Road
Louis started the framework for initiative: Rules of the Road
Covering Upstreaming, Repos, Licensing, Decision making, playbooks, Lab Resourses, Platform version roadmapping.
Licensing will be key (need to standardize, especially for productization). Need to harmonize a statement around licensing.
Next Steps AOB
- 5G SBP Blog from Arpit published today: https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/blog/super-blueprints-integrate-the-5g-open-source-stack-from-core-to-door/. Help share!
- 5G Cloud Native Network Demo Offline meeting this week
- Project Plans Under Development
- Lab Resources
- Magma POC Integration
****** Meeting Minutes from 05/18 below *****
LFN 5G Cloud Native Network Demo/POC 2021:
Status on current work demo
FlexRAN + Altran RAN + OpenShift Containers Update (Hanen/Rajat/Sam/Amar)
1 Getting the FlexRAN code/binaries: Have components ready for testing. Goal: Run on baremetal first. Adding 2 members to the call (Nidhi, Jianzhu) working to get the Openshift environment running in the lab in San Diego. Will provide the binaries after this happens. Future: Hanen/Sveto to then run the baremetal call in Montreal lab. Using a CentOS 7 container on Openshift. Kaloom can dedicate baremetal server specifically for this.
2. Getting the Altran, CU/DU containers.
Sriram reached out to RAN team at Altran in India. Haven't heard back yet (COVID impacts).
5G Radio Update (Sriram V/Kaloom Team)
Kaloom has been in touch with Sriram V. First step: Testing the radio in Austin lab first. Once determined to be fully working. After testing complete, will ship to Montreal lab and place in Faraday cage. Amar asked Sam if it's possible to FlexRAN up and running next week? That way we have sometime to test the radio against. Sam to provide Jianzhu with the image of the container.
Question raised: Is there a diagram (planning) what this version of the demo will entail? Yes, this is a customary deliverable. Brandon/Amar to start a draft.
E2E 5G Slicing Update (Sriram R)
Samir at Rebaca looking for a resource to assist. Samir/Sriram in contact. Can wait another couple weeks.
5G Core is the initial phase, then E2E testing with emulator. The slices are there, needs testing (reliant upon Altran folks in India). Will then work on integrating with the UPF.
Sriram has been working with Swami/Lin and weekly ONAP 5G slicing calls. Testing on the Core. Will flag Catherine if any further help is needed from the ONAP community.
5G Super Blueprint
Jira / GitHub Update (Louis)
The 5G Super Blueprint Jira now created. We need to consider now how to categorize the Jira. ONAP integration with a federated Jira has been approved but need to understand how this works. Louis to coordinate with ONAP, develop a recommendation for hierarchy, federation, workflows, etc. GitHub has not yet been set up; need to hammer out the same issues. Super Blueprint will upstream the code back to the project codebases wherever possible. Louis developing a ReadMe for Jira/GitHub. How do we make this effective? What are the categories and where do we filter? Project TSCs need to look at federation and upstreaming to project communities. LFN Staff needs to coordinate touching base with project TSCs.
ONAP Enterprise Working Group Update / Magma Integration (Amar)
Amar gave a brief overview of the work being done to integrate ONAP with Magma happening on the ONAP Enterprise Working Group call. The presentation can be seen here.
Magma core has access gateway and Magma orchestrator. 1st step is orchestration. The magma controller is already containerized (CNF). Also a PNF/VNF (Hybrid approach).
An ONAP Magma integration plan was shown.
This is open initiative, anyone can get involved.
Please see the ONAP Enterprise Task Force Wiki:
Bi-weekly call on Wednesday 7am PST - next one scheduled on 5/26
Need 5G Super Blueprint Use Case (Brandon/Heather)
Looking to identify a specific use case that we can develop to better show what the 5G Super Blueprint can do. What's the business case for the taking an open source approach? In the past, we've shown an E2E call on a keynote stage, what could we show (and how) in the future to make this real for folks? Initial ideas have been factory floor, warehouse, etc. A suggestion was made to look at the Magma development conference: 5G, Narrowband IOT. Aligning with their roadmap for IoT maybe be synergistic. Might be helpful to have the current roadmap presented to help foster conversation. It was noted that the Magma roadmap does currently function on 5G (narrowband IOT might not be the focus). Phil has volunteered to help be the conduit with this group.
LFN Member participation encouraged. Call for the group: Send in your use case ideas? Child page created for use case brainstorming. Please add to this page. LFN Communities feedback + EUAG feedback needed.
Next Steps / AOB
Topics for future calls:
- Jira/GitHub Read Me planning
- Project Plan Outline: Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3
- Playbooks Overview
- Anatomy of a Blueprint
- Additional Project Integration (ODIM, etc.)
- 5G SBP Whitepaper Development (Ranny)
- Potential 5G SBP Webinar in Q2
The next meeting will be on Tuesday, May 4, 8:00 AM PT/1500 UTC. Louis is on PTO 05/03 to 05/10, returning 05/11
5G Super Blueprint Overview
The team concurs to reuse parts of the 5G Cloud Native demo/PoC into the 5G Super Blueprint where is makes sense. And to share technologies and methodologies. For example; common orchestration engine (based on ONAP), 5G-UE and gHB emulators, etc.
Working Group Logistics
Proposal: Use the foundation built by the LFN Demo: 5G Cloud Native Network working group as the "home" of the 5G Super Blueprint.
Track 1: Current Demo: 5G Cloud Native Network + RAN Integration + Network Slicing. Goal: Publish and promote working demo in Summer/Fall
Track 2: 5G Super Blueprint: In parallel, built a 5G Super Blueprint (specs, scripts, instructions, etc) covering the phases presented earlier.
The tracks will use the SAME: Wiki, Mailing List, Slack Channel, & Meeting Schedule (to start). As needed, we could potentially split out a separate 5G Super Blueprint call, sub-section of the wiki, Slack Group, etc.
- Slack Channel: https://join.slack.com/t/lfn-demo/shared_invite/zt-nkmmn4gh-Z5wUZNgo_tOJ958s31PGTQ
- Email group: email@example.com
LFN TAC Whitepaper
- Ranny Haiby Leading effort at 5G Super Blueprint Whitepaper. Learn more and sign up to contribute here: https://wiki.lfnetworking.org/x/e4AZAw.
- The LFN TAC is interested in helping promote and move the 5G Super Blueprint forward. It has been proposed to present 5G Super Blueprint to the TAC on Wednesday 04/07.
- Status on current work
- Leveraging 5G Cloud Native Network Demo (Proof of Concept) 2021
- 5G Super Blueprint Criteria
- Open source components where available
- Proprietry components where Open Source component does not exist or is not compatible
- LFN TAC Consult
- Blueprint Outputs (scrips, docs, mode/Yaml/Yang files). Do it in stages.
- Establish forcing function
- Consider leveraging Akraino best practices
- Establish upstreaming process
- 5G Super Blue Print Playbook
- Establish joint/cross project repos
- Separate demo and 5G Super BP Jiras
- Jira cross tagging- need IT discussion